Monday 2 January 2012

Visit to Italy

I know this blog is about us moving to and living in London... but part of us being here is visiting Marco's family and then some.....

The day we left for Italy, I was full blown flu!!  Our flight was at 9:40AM and we had at least an hour to the airport!! I am NOT a morning person even without the flu!!  Well the Taxi didn't show up at 6:15 like it was suppose to!!  That meant we had to take the bus to the train!  We got to the bus stop (stand) and Marco realised he forgot our boarding passes!!  Cheap airlines in Europe charge you if you don't have your printed boarding pass...  Marco ran back to the apartment to get the passes... While I was sitting there, I started to think about where the train station was.... right as Marco returned to the bus stop, I asked him if we needed to be on the other side of the street... (the bus on the other side of the street was just pulling up!)  Bingo!!  We crossed the street and caught the bus!!  We were already trying to think of Plan B because there was NO way we would make the train to the airport in time for our flight!  Right before the train station was a Taxi stand... Marco ran in to see if we could get a cab to the airport.  We grabbed a cab... the driver was pushing the speed limit and it looked like we were going to make it!!!  I looked over at the gas gauge and we were ON empty!!  I can't make this stuff up!!!!  We pulled off to a gas station... the driver said he would be 2 minutes!  He pumped just enough gas to get us to the airport!!  We made it!  We dashed around the airport trying to find where to go.... We made it through security, and then I lost Marco!!!  Apparently his shampoo had to be confiscated!!!  I was completely out of breath but we made it to the gate and boarded the plane!!! 

I don't even remember landing in Venice and taking ?? transportation to Udine!  I stayed in bed for 3 days!!  It did give Marco a chance to visit with his parents!  His dad still had spells but is doing much better!!  It also gave Marco's Mom a chance to doctor from beyond!  Propoli!!!  I Goggled and the stuff is made from bees!  It is also found in furniture polish and car wax!!!  It burns like heck going down but it did seem to work.... the trick is to mix in a tablespoon of honey and add lemon.  The Farmacia told Marco to give me Aspirin... a should have told him to ask if I could take it with my blood pressure meds!  After the second day... Marco kept telling me to take my aspirin and I kept telling him that I did not think it was a good idea to take while my nose was bleeding!  His response... Stop bleeding and take your aspirin!!  (Marco's friends did all tell me that they grew up on Propoli and it is a wonder 'drug'!)



I did feel better by Christmas Day and we had a very nice visit with Marco's mom & dad!!  After our 5 course Christmas dinner, Marco and I took a walk through his hometown of Udine....

The Church in our favorite Piazza (square)

The Castle (on the hill) and the bell tower and square below!!

Street view of Udine....

Another view of my favorite Pizza... (Marco to the right)

All the place to go and visit from Udine!!  Trieste and Grado are great costal towns!!

Before we left Udine, we visited Trieste!!!  One of our favorite places!!  We hope to retire there one day (6 months out of the year).  It has everything!  Mountains above, the sea below, Slovania to the the East, Austria to the North, and all of Italy to the West!!


Street view towards the mountains of Trieste!!

The Architecture is amazing and very diverse!

And what city in Europe doesn't have Roman ruins??

Sunset over The Alps on the way home... (to Udine)!

Our last night in Udine was with Marco's family and his dear friend GianLuca....


We always spend our last night in Friuli (Marco's hometown region) in Venice!  It is part of our history!!  It is very touristy but we always find the non-touristy spots and enjoy all the city has to offer!!

St. Marco

How romantic.... (and COLD)

Grand Canal

Venice!!

The bell tower of St. Marco through one of the many canals....

One of my favorite views of Venice!!!

A day in Venice!


Our trip home was uneventful...  We had a wonderful time and I can't wait for our next trip.... Going to Paris end of January to see Marco's brother, Stefano!

Don't wait to end of January... there is a lot going on in London between now and then!!!
Stay Tuned and Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment