Wednesday 21 March 2012

British 102

Okay... this one is a little tougher....
  • Wellies - a have 2 pair of these and they do come in handy - rain boots
  • Water Butt - this is something the water company suggested people have to water their gardens - a rain barrel (I have a feeling I'll hear some wise cracks on this one!)
  • Hose Pipe - you can use this with your water butt - a water hose
  • Gully - gutter - I saw a sign letting residence know that the council is gully cleaning on 22 March
  • Fly Tipping - this one cracks me up... - dumping trash illegally
Some things I hear on a regular basis...
  • Mend - fix or repair
  • Hoover - this can be a noun or a verb - vacuum or to vacuum
  • Post - this can also be a noun or a verb - mail or to mail
  • Nibbles - finger food or appetisers
  • Vest - a sleeveless top like a camisole or tank top
  • Tick - check mark
  • Nappy - diaper
  • Nickers - underwear
  • collect - to pick-up
  • dodgy - someone that is suspicious or fishy
  • flog - (slang) for sell - there is a show on TV called Flog It - it is kind of like Antique Road Show
  • Call 'round - come by or visit
  • Ring - to call on the phone
  • Broiler - hot water heater
The following took some some research...
  • VAT - Value Added Tax - sales tax
  • Supply Teacher - substitute teacher
  • Surgery - to give professional advise / consultation - I went to the refugee centre to make a donation and I was surprised when the woman told me she that I was her surgery!
  • Hob - this one a found when ready a recipe - a burner
  • Poussin - Cornish Game Hen
Okay... now you need to learn these so when you come visit.... and note I used the British spelling.

OH!  A couple other helpful things to know.... the letter Z is said pronounced zed.  When you give a date (such as date of birth) you give the day/month/year...  I've confused some people by giving month and then the day!  And 1/2-8 is 8:30 not 1/2 of 8 (7:30).

I hope you fancy this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment