Sunday 18 December 2011

Interesting Chat

I had an interesting chat today.... and yes, I said chat!  Marco and I stopped at our friendly 'hack' phone shop to get my US phone unlocked so I can get a UK number.  Marco and I had stopped at this shop to get his phone unlocked so the owner recognized us.  Today, I stepped up and said what I wanted done!  The owner looked at me and smiled and said I spoke proper American English like Hillary Clinton.  I was polite and said thank you.  The owner then paused and asked if he could speak... we were people and could have a proper discussion.  Marco and I both agreed.  The owner started out that we were American, European, Indian, Pakistani....  He mentioned something about something Hillary Clinton had said on TV... not sure what but it appeared he wasn't pleased... (at that point I did not want to say I was not happy that he thought I sounded like Hillary....).  He then went on to talk about his move to the UK with his family 10 years ago....  so on, so on.... (Marco couldn't decide if he moved here with his 11th wife or his wife of 11 years...).  My point and the thing he said that stood out the most to me is....  We are all born as babies and all we want is the nutrition from our mothers... we are not born with knowledge of religion.  I mentioned that I grew up in the Philippines and went to school with kids from all over the world and from all religions but at the end of the day, we were all kids who liked to play games and went to school together.  The owner agreed that it is unfortunate that the things we learn in a negative sense are as adults.  He then apologized for speaking out of turn and continued with business...  I am glad he spoke out of turn...

No comments:

Post a Comment