Thursday 15 December 2011

Last Night's Dinner

To prepare for last night's dinner it took 2 trips to the grocery store.... partly because I forgot a few things but also because I could only buy what I could carry home on the bus.  The first grocery store visit was to Morrisons which is like a Publix or Kroger; your average grocery store.  The second trip was to Iceland.  Iceland was quite a bit smaller and I soon found out why it is called Iceland.... the majority of the food is prepared and frozen (not my style).

Last night I was going to fix Chicken Marsala which is one of Marco's favourites.  I could not find flour at Iceland to bread the chicken so I had to improvise... I made my own bread crumbs!  I breaded the chicken and I was quite please with the way it turned out.  I had gotten mushrooms the other day at Morrisons and they were fantastic!  The catch here...  I had to slice them myself!  (Oh, how we are spoiled!)  I was unable to find Marsala so again, I had to improvise... Sherry!  I was pleased with the way the mushrooms turned out so I sprinkled them over the chicken and added the cheese.  I was happy so far and couldn't wait to surprise Marco!  I put the chicken in the oven at 6:00 so dinner would be ready when Marco go home at 7:00.  At 6:15 I decided I had better check the chicken just to be sure it was cooking...  IT WAS DONE!!  5 more minutes and it would have been OVER done!!

I love the kitchen and I love cooking.  I can usually improvise and substitute and feel ok about things...  Here, I'm on a whole new playing field!  I am going to have to learn from scratch!  The oven did say to read the manual before using... I just rolled my eyes!  Although I was a little suspicious when the temperature on the oven only went a couple degrees above 200.... LOL!!!  It just dawned on me!!  DUH... CELSIUS!!!

Don't worry... by the time we are ready for visitors, I will have this all figured out!!

Stay tuned... there is more adventure to come!

1 comment:

  1. Tonight's dinner was much better.... Orange Glazed Chicken (cooked at the proper temperature)... w/ Brusselsprouts (that were to die for)!

    ReplyDelete